Sunday, February 3, 2008

Dallin's Broken Wrist

Dallin spent the last month in a cast after falling off my bed! Our bed is pretty high up since the newer mattresses are so thick and plush. I was in my bathroom and had just set Dallin down on the bed to watch a PBS kids program with Sydney. It was a Sunday morning and I was getting ready for the day. All of a sudden I heard a loud boom that sounded like someone hit the floor hard. For a brief second I paused to listen for who it was and if they really did get hurt. Dallin started screaming and I rounded the corner fast and saw him face down with both hands on the ground on either side and his neck twisted up. He had landed face first I thought. After a few seconds of checking to see if he could move, I carefully moved him to my bed to check him out further. I thought his neck muscles were really bothering him on his right side. After about an hour, he had settled down and our Home Teachers came. Dallin favored his right arm and would off and on wimper. I had given him some pain medicine and was really trying to see if it was only muscular pain- in which case there isn't much doctors can do except tell me to keep giving him pain medicine. After the Home Teachers left, I decided to take Dallin to the doctor. I took him in and the doctor didn't think he broke anything and didn't offer to take any x-rays. I really thought he was right and that his neck was just twisted. A week and a half later I took Dallin in for a checkup and told his pediatrician that I was concerned about his crawling since it had changed after the fall off the bed. One hand was turning outward instead of turning inward as he was crawling. We immediatly were sent for x-rays. I was surprised to find that his wrist was broken about a half-inch above the joint. Then I was mortified that he had gone so long without a cast on!!!! What a tough kid! I took these photos right before they were going to take off his cast. If you scroll down to the christmas post, the picture of Dallin playing with his new toys is during the time that his wrist was broken but not in a cast yet.

5 comments:

Cami said...

Poor guy!

KimiK said...

I am so sorry he got hurt. It is so hard to see your kids go through that. I hope he is hurting too bad. Beautiful pictures of the mountains, by the way! Our every other day of sun inbetween our every other day of snow sure makes for beautiful scenery.

Ditto Family said...

Poor kid!

Denise G said...

Those little ones seem to be made out of rubber, but sometimes they land just right and snap. What a trooper.

kg said...

Wow, lots has been happening in your house!!